Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

TCamino 2016: Via de La Plata Day 30 - Fonfría to San Mamede

Wednesday April 27, 2016
Having spent the night in a very nice albergue along the ridge at about the same height as O'Cebreiro, today was the descent. It was a long way up for my leg muscles and my knees were very unhappy on the way down.
The day started with a very pretty sky, with tinges of red, perhaps to foreshadow the possibility of showers which the weather forecast said were a possibility.
The valley I was about to head down into was still covered by low clouds, I hoped the sun would clear them soon.
The path down not too steep to start with but it very steep and rocky further down. No photos of that I am afraid to say.
As I got further down I was soon at cloud level. An interesting experience.
More flowers by the spring. They seem to like the wet soil.
I know I am tall, but this is ridiculous. When I was a plant manager my nickname on the factory floor was "Long Legs". The sun is still low in the sky.
Soon I was down in a small forest of chestnut trees. Many of them looked very old.
One in particular was said to be 800 years old
By now I was down in the little villages with small farms. Here the cows are lying down. My grandmother used to say that meant that it would rain. I think it is just because they are tired, at least I hope so.
After we were down from O'Cebreiro in Triacastela there were two routes to choose from. Last time I walked the Camino we chose the route through Samos where there is a Benedictine monastery that can trace its roots back to the 5th/6th century, one of the oldest in the western world. This time I decided to take the other route which is slightly shorter but goes first up hill again to the little village of San Xil and then along a stretch with views over the surrounding mountains before descending again to the town of Sarria.
I found the day very strenuous, especially my knees on the long descent and then the up and down and was glad to sit in the sun and take a rest while I had a snack from my backpack. It is now 125km (77 miles) to Santiago according to the distance marker beside me.
The views across the valleys were very pretty but it looks as if the clouds are moving in.
Finally, after stopping for a bowl of soup and a beer at a little local bar I arrived at the albergue I had chosen after about 24 tough km today. It was later than usual but no problem with getting a bed in a room with 4 bunks (8 beds) but although at 5:30pm when I wrote the first draft of the blog all the other beds in my room were empty, by dinner time they were all filled when a Spanish group arrived
The albergue is very nice with a garden, and a nice common room/ dining room with a wood burning fireplace,where we we will eat dinner together tonight. The sleeping rooms also have heating- very seldom in albergues. Usually when it is cold they just offer heavy blanks to use with the sleeping bags we all carry








8 comments:

  1. Hurray, you are in a picture. Are you walking most of the time by yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. am sympathetic about your knees, but I have to ask.... isn't your back just hating you? That backpack looks like a torture device.

    I hope the remaining few days bring good weather and memories to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your Long Legs picture. Oh yes, all the cows laying down chewing their cud, too, being raised on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're looking good. Really pretty, and better wx than 2013, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James,
    What an experience of a life time. A self revealing journey with memories to last forever. Good for you.
    We have a 'castagna'(italian spelling) in our backyard about 20 years old. Cannot imagine one being 800 years old. Evidently they did not have the blight that took out all of the American species in the mid 1900s. Ours is a Chinese cbestnut.
    Stay well?
    John S. Paducah

    ReplyDelete
  6. James-looks like great hiking. I always hurt more on the descents than on the climbs. If you get the chance it would be interesting to read a little in your blog about your gear and how its holding up/working for you. A big part of the journey is what you carrie on your back and what you realize you can let go of along the way. I know your spirit is lighter as you've had time to walk with God. May peace be with you as your adventure continues. Take care of your knees-you only have two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In every one of the pictures of you, you are smiling and look so relaxed and satisfied (if tired).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi James, It's Karli here. My dad, Steve, and I were so glad to meet you on The Way. Nice to see us in the shot above at Paloma and Lena. I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete