Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata - Day 13 - Calzadar de Béjar to Fuenterroble de Salvatierra

Sunday April10, 2016
I hate it but I had finished this blog and saved it but it has disappeared from my iPad. I had written most of it yesterday and saved it ready to post but it seems to have been lost as a result of the terrible wifi experiences I had. I don't think I can recreate it but will try and at least post some of the pictures
The sky in the early morning as I set out
Too cold to dip my feet in!
Entering a village it reminds us of the reason we are undertaking this walk
A village where I stopped for a coffee and refreshment
An ancient roman milestone still in place after more than 2,000 years
We climbed for most of the morning. This was the highest point. 1,000 meters or more than 3,000 feet
Before we reached the summit the wind was really strong and cold and it was nice as we got to the other side to be b
Essen the trees and sheltered from the wind. It is still winter here at this altitude with no sign of spring in the trees and hedges.
Then to the albergue. It is supported by a local peregrine organization and donations. There is no fixed fee for the bed or the meals , they ask for donations but these are voluntary. The staff are mostly volunteers from pilgrim chapters around the world.
The dormitory is correspondingly simple but cramped. The beds are close together but there is a wood stove in one corner to provide some heating in the evening but it got very cold at night with blankets to go over the sleeping bags.
They offer a communal evening meal. Tonight it was beef Ina mixture of green beans, celery and various other vegetables.
It tasted very good, especially after a hard days walking
Dessert was a pear in a red wine sauce. Also very good.
Then to bed. Tomorrow we have a long day with about 30 km to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment