Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata - Day 17 - Casa Saso to Villanueva de Campeán

Thursday April 14, 2016
Got to bed soon after 9 and had a good long night in the cabin "container". Awake at 6:30 and on the road soon after 7:00. The sky was cloudy with some heavy clouds and looked threatening.
Light was just starting to show on the horizon even though sunrise would not be for another 45 mins or so. Temperature was 10°C (50°F) but the wind was very strong at about 30mph. Fortunately it was from the south so behind me as I walked.


The first 13km or so were on a gravel track beside a freeway and really boring. The wind was continuous and it looked as if it was going to rain, even with a rainbow showing up at one point but it did not develop more than a few spots.


Finally after about 2 1/2 hours the path left the freeway and lead into the village of El Cubo de la Tierra del Vino. I stopped and finally got a coffee and a snack for breakfast along with a rest for about 30 mins
Across the plaza from the bar a truck had set up a stand of fruit and vegetables. It must be their version of market day. After I left the bar I went across and bought what I thought were bananas but they insisted they were plantanos. They taste like bananas so I am now not sure what the difference is between bananas and plantains. You can see people are trying to stay warm on a cold day


Then back on the Camino, this time through fields alongside a disused railway track. There was at least finally some shelter from the strong wind with some trees along the trail. Some puddles to negotiate but nothing we had not had plenty of opportunity to train for on earlier stretches.


The signs were not always easy to find. Sometimes they were almost hidden


Can you find the sign here at a 4 way crossroads?


The path was now mostly on farm roads into the distance


We were climbing most of the time and as the path climbed the wind seemed to get stronger.
The fields were primarily arable with large areas planted with grain or ploughed and waiting to be planted. Occasionally there were vines for grapes but the were all cut back and there were no shoots to be seen yet. We are still at an elevation of 2,500 to 3,000 ft so the warm days come later.
I did pass one farm with some sheep in a pen. Just after I had taken the photo the farmer came out of a barn and waved a manure fork at me and told me to move away. I was not close enough to cause the sheep to be agitated so I am not sure what the problem was. I waved to him and walked on.


Finally I reached the top and started down the other side of the mountain. It was a great view and showed the path ahead.


Then down the other side and through fields of raps (Canola)


Finally after 27km and about 5 1/2 hours I arrived at Villanueva de Campeán, a small village and found the albergue. It is in an old stone walled house without heating so I will be glad of my good sleeping bag and an extra blanket tonight. No wifi in the albergue but there is in the bar down the street
There are several of us in the albergue tonight including 4 Irishmen so it may be an exciting evening. The albergue is on 2 floors. I am on the lower floor along with Spanish a guy and Mike and Ruth from Denver while the Irish are all upstairs. Perhaps more people will arrive later.
Overall a good day even if the first part was rather tedious.

3 comments:

  1. Waved at with a manure fork? That's a new one. I think the first time somebody was not friendly? Can't wait to hear about the Irish entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The farmer must have been having a bad day and wanted to spread it on to passersby. I so enjoy your sharing your experience and have followed each day. Thanks you for sharing. God's abundant blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes there is just no explanation for grumpy folk!

    ReplyDelete