Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata - Day 15 - Morille to Salamanca

Tuesday April 12, 2016
When we woke up pretty much all our clothes were finally dry. Just the boots were still damp but we will surely find more water and/ rain today on our 20km day.
Set off before sunrise as usual. I looked this picture of Hannah ahead of me on the road in the early morning against a sky that looks promising for today


To my left was a lone tree also standing up against the sky.



Next we come to some familiar looking pasture with cattle all over and several gates to open and make sure we close them properly.


A cow with her calf. As I walked by she just looked at me but didn't seem bothered.


After about 10 km we came to a village and decided to look for a café. By now I had lost sight of Hannah since she walks very quickly. When I got into the village and was looking for a café, I met a man walking his dog. I asked him where the café was and he pointed but said it would not open until 10:00. It was now about 9:30. I didn't have time to think. Just beside me a door opened and a lady called out and invited me in for a coffee. She was insistent and I followed her into the house and into the kitchen. There I found Hannah sitting also with a cup of coffee and a slice of melon. The woman's husband was also there and I was duly served as well. They did not speak any of my languages, just Spanish, but Hannah was able to communicate quite well.
We stayed for about 20-30 mins and then left with muchas gracias amazed that people would welcome you like that. The Camino is really special in so many ways.
Soon after we left the weather started to turn. First a brilliant rainbow., one end of which was close to our feet but I did not look for the pot of gold even though I could see exactly where it might be!
Thank you Christa for the tip to use the panorama feature for rainbows!


The rain soon came a hard as ever and a strong wind just as we were going up the last hill before Salamanca. There was a cross at the top of the hill and a photo would have been nice but it was not to be. Driving rain. Then it stopped as we entered the city across the Puerto Romano


The cathedral standing proudly up above it.
Then up to the Plaza Major and the information office to get a map and to find my Hostal (simple but clean hotel) which turned out to be a perfect location right next to the main square.
Settled in, good wifi, called Christa, shower washed clothes and set out to explore. Mainly I wanted to see the cathedral although there are lots of other things to visit.
It is very impressive. The old cathedral still stands, Roman in style and somehow attached to the new one. The new one was built in the early 1300's and is amazing as at so many of the old European cathedrals.
Here are some pictures.


Lots of chapels as usual. In one I found two paintings of St Martin.


These are old ropes and winches found under the roof during repairs. Probably from the original construction.



Some say it is the most beautiful Plaza Major in the whole of Spain


St Stephen's convent but no visitors


Inside the cathedral

St Martin I think but no information
These were found in the roof during renovations and may date back to the original construction

Then back to my room. Finished yesterday's blog, found a nice restaurant close by for dinner and then get ready for bed.
Time for a mileage update.
So far I have walked 270km or 167 miles in 12 days. An average of about 14 miles per day with 490 km (304 miles) to go to Santiago

5 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your blog every morning. My mind boggles at the distance you have walked an still have to go. Admirable! Sally Dvorak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James...coming in quite late in you blog. Let me see..lost your bags, jumping bogs on Roman markers, and your share of windy, rainy steep hills. As I would expect, a good pilgrim. Oh, by the way, does the Doc know you're puddle jumping thru Spain😝 You're doing such a nice blog, really enjoying it. Be safe..Buen Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. Great photos, especially the first one. And the rainbow of course. Ah, I wallow in rememberance of something similar even if it was much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just talked with Lois Jeanne in St Louis. She wants you to know that she is reading your blogs and is walking with you. Many are enjoying your photos and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m enjoying all of the pictures, but that one of the lone tree silhouetted against the sky really stands out. And the plaza and cathedral are breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete