Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Saturday, April 23, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata Day 26 - Foncebadon to Molinaseca

Saturday April 23, 2016
It was generally a good night but the heating came on when we went to bed and it got much too hot in the room. Quite a change from the days when we scrambled to get extra blankets because it was so cold. I was up before seven and they had breakfast ready in the albergue. Coffee, toast and fresh squeezed orange juice. It was nice. They had also put our boots in front of the wood stove in the dining area so they were dry by morning. Out and on the Camino at about 7:30.
The goats were already out on the street. Yes they are big goats. It would not turn round for the photo
It was only about 30 mins of a steep uphill climb to the Cruz de Ferro at 1528 fmeters (5,000 ft) and it was a nice refreshing morning but only 1°C or about 34°F.
When I arrived at the cross there was only one person there,silent and meditating. I too stood for a while in the peaceful surroundings. When he had finished I asked him to take a photo of me.
The sky was beautiful in the early morning and the pile of stones laid by pilgrims over the centuries is not pretty but impressive. It was such a change from last time I was here with dozens of people scrambling over it and making a noise. I relished the moment.
Then I moved on and continued along the ridge of the mountain with the sky constantly changing. Even some drops of rain so on with the poncho but it did not last long.
The views were lovely. At one point I asked a Frenchman to take a photo for me but he kept either putting his finger in front of the lense or taking 20-30 at a time of the wrong thing. Finally I found one he had taken that looked ok so I thanked him and he moved on.

Next we were covered by clouds moving across but at least we could see some blue sky between the clouds.
Next I started the decent to El Acebo. I remembered that we had stayed there when I was here three years ago. It was steep and rocky. I went slowly and carefully. I have had problems with steep, rocky, downhills. No pictures since I was concentrating on where to put my feet each step.
In El Acebo I stopped for a coffee and a bocadillo. Half for now and the rest for a late lunch in the albergue.
Then back on the road to continue the descent. A total descent of 1,000 meters (3,300 ft) on narrow paths with rocks, stones mud and almost continuous running water. I was glad when after several hours I was down arriving at the town of Molinaseca.
The town from above
Entry to the town.
Over the bridge
On my way through the town to the albergue I passed these people with their huge dogs.
The albergue is at the exit from the town but very comfortable. No bunk beds in the room I am in and plenty of space between the beds. Could not take a picture since people were already in there. I took my shower and put all my muddy clothes in the washing machine and dryer so now I am in good shape with my clothes - everything washed.
In the dining room I had a large beer and ate the rest of my bocadillo along with some raisins I had in my backpack for snacks while I wrote today's blog. I sat outside and chatted with some Frenchmen (in French) since they don't speak any English so our conversation was rather limited but good for me to practice my French.
Later I heard some people speaking in English about going out to dinner together so I asked it I might join them. They were happy and we had a nice dinner together. One from New Zealand, one from Denmark, one from Italy and myself.
Back to the albergue, pack the backpack for tomorrow ang get ready for sleep after another tough day but I feel good. I remember from last time that the he descent from Cruz de Ferro was tough.









3 comments:

  1. I was very happy about "no pictures while downhill" (no texting while driving") but the mountains look beautiful.
    http://james-ontheway.blogspot.com/2013/05/day-22-santa-catalina-de-somoza-to-acebo.html?m=0
    Here is the "Cruz" from 2013. Deffinately different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: must brush up on my French and greatly improve my German and make sure my brother's Spanish is better than it is today before we seriously consider something like this.

    All my admiration, James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve loved all of the scenery so far, but it is lovely to see those mountains!

    ReplyDelete