Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Friday, April 29, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata Day 32 - Ferreiros to Ventas de Narón

Friday April 29, 2016
Not a very good night but I am partly to blame. When I checked in yesterday afternoon I was assigned a lower bed against the wall at one end of the dormitory which I thought would be good. I did not notice til later that there was a radiator along the wall next to the bed.
When I saw it I still did not worry since it was not cold in the room or outside, there were plenty of blankets for people to use and they are usually very reluctant to turn the heating on.
However, last night the heating was running all night and it got very hot, especially near me lying right next to the radiator. There was only one empty bed and it happened to be the one above me so I just took my sleeping bag and moved up there for the rest of the night.
Anyway, woke up at about 6:30 as usual and left at about 7:00. No breakfast available unti later so I set off on a cold morning. Here is the albergue as it was just getting light.
Came past a cemetery. Most seem to be above ground cemeteries. I am not sure if this is because of the rocky ground or because of a high water table.

The sky was pretty with the clouds tinged with pink and frost on the ground. I had difficulty keeping my fingers warm.
There are a lot of these trees that look very old.

This is called a "Horreo" and almost every farm or home has one outside their house. They are used for storing grain and other foods and stop them from being accessed by birds or rodents. They always are on a stand with a lip that the mice cannot get around.
The path today is across a river that was dammed in the 60's to form a reservoir. In the process a town was lost under the water and a new one built above the water line of the residents. This picture is a view of the fog that has formed above the reservoir
Down at water level a bridge crosses into the town, but this morning it is in the fog even though it is a bright sunny day up above.
Steep steps lead up into the town. I needed to find a bank so I had to climb up here. But first I found a place for breakfast since I was hungry having left the albergue and walked for about two hours already. They had good wifi so I was able to upload yesterday's blog while I had breakfast and then go further up the hill to the bank to refill my wallet.
After my success with breakfast and at the bank I headed back onto the Camino. The first part of the next stretch was 30 mins up a fairly steep hill, and then through the familiar farming areas.
Nice colors on the sides of the paths and a different kind of undergrowth
Finally about 7 hours after I left the albergue this morning and 24km I stopped at an albergue that looked good in the guide book. Except for the wifi not working, it is very nice. It is small with just 12 beds in the room I am in. I chose a bed that is not a bunk so I can sit up in it without hitting my head and get out without having to climb down a ladder.
So far all my equipment is holding up well. My Merrell Moab boots are very comfortable and with my Marino wool socks and silk liner socks, so far no blisters. The hiking poles are absolutely invaluable, especially on the steep ascents and descents and the "rock hopping" to get around and through water and muddy stretches. My backpack is the same one I used on the other Caminos and has held up well.
I have developed a packing routine that works well with things put into the pack each evening based on putting the things I may need during the day or soon after arriving last so they are near the top. Other things are buried near the bottom and I have to hope I won't need get at them while walking. Generally it works well and I can now find items by feel without looking into the pack.
Tonight I had a nice dinner with three others who are also walking the Camino. Two from Germany and one from France.
We ate in the albergue where it is rather cold. I think we have all the beds in our room occupied tonight so that should help warm it up a bit except that the stone walls are two feet thick and will probably take all summer to warm up. The forecast for tomorrow morning is 0°C so I will have to make sure I can find my gloves, but overall the weather for the next few days is cool but sunny with no rain
Trank you For the comments to the Blogs. I read and enjoy every one
The wifi is now working here which makes writing the blog easier.

5 comments:

  1. This is not a complaint but "...cool but sinner with no rain" sounds a bit red-wine-ish, free with every dinner. Hope you are not tired of it when you are back home. I miss you when you are gone, but I will miss your blogs when you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to understand how you packed everything you need -- warm and cold clothes, gloves, rain gear, charging equipment, walking poles, personal kit, first aid supplies, sandals, everything -- and still made that target weight of (I think) 18 pounds. It seems every other day you write that you are pulling another item out of that bag.

    Thank you again for all the lovely photos and lively descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoying your blog, and envious. Be safe😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery! I love the above ground cemeteries - like ones I've seen in Paris and New Orleans. So much more lovely than our 'Memorial Gardens'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friedrich HiemenzMay 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM

    Hey James, I am finally back from my Camino, too! I see you finished your Journy quite well. I hope that you are fine! I really enjoyed reading that blog entry for it brought up some memories of mine. Greetings from the German guy in the Picture! Friedrich

    ReplyDelete