Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata - Day 8 - Caçares to Grimaldo

After the rain yesterday this morning was clear and sunny but with a strong north wind but so much better than yesterday that it felt wonderful. Yesterday, due to the closed albergue I had decided to take a bus to Cañaveral and walk from there to Grimaldo. The bus is scheduled to leave from the bus station at 11:00. Left the albergue along with the French perigrina, Nicole, and walked through town on the way to the bus station which is the opposite side of town from the albergue.
Found some interesting statues along the way but also took a wrong turn and found ourselves a long way from the bus station. Whoever I asked gave a different answer as to which direction to head. I remember that 2 years ago I had the same problem in Seville. If people don't know they give you an answer rather than say that they don't know. Also the streets on the map that show names are never the same ones as those that actually have street names on the end of the street so the map doesn't help much. However we had plenty of time and we saw parts of the city we had not planned to see!
We passed these statues at one plaza.

Then we came to the ruins of a church with 14 stork nests on top of the arches. All were occupied.

We finally found the bus station after asking some paramedics I saw outside a hospital. I was sure they would know their way around town and they pointed us in the right direction and said 1 km.
When we got to the bus station we still had about 30 mins to wait for the bus which came in punctually and left on time. No free beer but I think that is spelled differently.

The bus took about 40 mins for the 40km trip and we arrived at Cañaveral. After collecting a sello at the local albergue I headed out, but Nicole decided to stop for a tea and leave a little later. That was fine with me as I always like to have time to myself for at least part of the hike. It was about 12 km but we had already walked about 7 looking for the bus station!
For most of the trail it was heading straight into the strong north wind and some parts were very steep, but it was by far the prettiest section I have been on so far. The spring flowers along the way.


And at one point I was nearly run over by some sheep being taken to new pasture.

Then some very steep climbs but a beautiful walk through the forest
This isn't even close to showing the gradient.

Out into a clearing at the top with a clear view to the north, the direction we are headed for this whole Camino.
On down the other side of the mountain, across a highway and into a farm area. The grazing areas had a lot of cork trees. On many the bark had been stripped for use as cork but I understand that the trees do not die but will grow new bark with time.
Through meadows covered with flowers
And across fields with cattle but they did not pay any attention to me as I came by.
Through a couple of gates, up a hill and I found the albergue. There were 2 women from Holland already there so I checked in, selected a bunk and sat in the sun, sheltered from the wind to eat the bocadillo I had bought at the bus station and brought with me along with a can of Aquarius that I still had from a couple of days earlier.
Having settled in I went across the street to a bar for a beer and to start uploading pictures using their wifi. Not fast but better that some!
By the time I got back to the albergue it had filled up completely. I think there are 15 beds. Tonight the bar across the street offers a peregrino menu for Eur 10.00 but not until 7:30 pm.
Here is our home for tonight.
Nice chatting outside in the sun with others and made a reservation for the night after next at an albergue that is usually full early in the day but is 30 km to get there. I may take a taxi for the first 6 km since 30km may be a stretch depending on the terrain and the weather. I will see when I get closer. Today with the time spent in Caçares and on the Camino from Cañaveral I covered about 17km.
Today was a beautiful stretch of the Camino and the weather made it look and feel it's best.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, my heart jumps when I see a new blog is up. Love every one. Wished I could stand in the middle of the way and the sheep go past me left and right. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I wouldn't be able to manage the steepness, but it is so lovely to look at. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete