Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 22 - Santa Catalina de Somoza to Acebo

Breakfast was fast in the Albergue and we were on the way at about 6:50, before the sun was up but early enough to see that the wet weather promised might not be as bad as we had feared. Yes, the cuckoos were singing and life was good
As we walked the sky cleared more and more but there was a very strong cold wind and we wore all our warm clothes including wooly hat and gloves. Yes, the ones I nearly through away more than 10 days ago! They have proved to be very useful several times since then.
After about 2 hours we stopped in Rabanal and had a cup of coffee and a croissant before we started on the steep climb up to the Cruz de Ferro (iron cross). It is a well known symbol on the Camino and people carry a stone from their home to lay at the foot of the cross. It is a symbol of laying down the burdens in your life at the foot of the cross. I had found a stone by the James River to take with me but I don't know what happened to it. However I can't think of any burdens that I carry with me anyway. I feel I can lay any burdens at the foot of any cross any time and not carry them with me. Isn't that one of the many blessings of being a Christian?

It took about another hour to reach the cross. The path was quite rocky?

The cross did not seem very significant to me, a small metal cross on top of a tall wooden pole with a pile of stones at the foot and some messages stuck to the pole. It was not at the highest point of the mountain but on the Pass of Irago.
We continued on and soon we had some lovely views over the surrounding country.
Then we headed on down from the mountain. It was steep and stony so we took our time. By now we were sheltered from the wind and the sun was warm on our backs. There were a lot of people on the path, most going slowly and with small backpacks. Many of them were part of a group who got in a bus before the path got steep. We also met some students from Vanderbilt University who took some pictures for us. Not enough time to really talk to them as they were hungry and their young knees allowed them to walk downhill faster than we could!
This one for William
It turned out to be a very pretty day even if it was very cold.
Then on down to the little village of Acebo, perched on the side of the mountain, still at about 1,100 meters (3,600 ft) above sea level.
We got a sandwich and a beer while we waited for the room to be ready and then had showers and I started to finish the last two days of blogs as the pictures came over to my iPad with the Internet.
Did not sleep well. 20 people in the room including several snorers and the door to the bathroom scraped loudly against the floor every time someone opened or closed it.
Today we walked 30 km (19 miles) Total so far 575 km, 357 miles in 22 days. Not bad for old men!

2 comments:

  1. Quite the trip so far! I really wish you had gotten some pictures of the Hippies-oh well. The countryside looks beautiful. Its fun to hear how it is all unfolding for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog was sent me by a friend. It is hard! I had thought of the pilgrimage at one time but fear I have left it too late. It's inspiring to know that there are those who will do it for me.

    ReplyDelete