Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 15 - Frómista to Carrión de Los Condes

Breakfast in the albergue but the food was all prepackaged and the coffee lukewarm but it gave us something to keep us going until we can find a place along the way.
It is trying to rain as we start so we put our rain gear on and set off along the edge of the road. Today we will spend a lot of time on a shoulder although we are about 20 yards from the highway itself. After about 3.5 km we take a track off to the right along a river and through some fields which is much more pleasant to walk and shown in my book a an alternative Camino route. Most of the people seem to stay on the road.
After about 6 more km we cross back to the path next to the road since there is a place for coffee there.
 
 
 
Today I don't need my wool cap and there is no sun so I wear my "Virginia is for Lovers" cap that I bought at the Richmond airport on my way here. I had forgotten to pack one of the many other caps I have and this works well when I need the poncho to allow me to see where I am going!
 
We then stopped in the town of Villalcázar De Sirga where there is a Knights Templar church which has a scene depicting the life of St James, a rose window and other interesting things. unfortunately, like so many other churches it is closed but can take a few pictures from outside.
A pilgrim statue
 
Back on the road and the rain starts. We had taken our rain gear off when we stopped for coffee because the rain had stopped but it comes down hard and is being blown by a strong wind from our left. It was very uncomfortable. And no shelter in sight so back on with rain gear and we had to press on. About an hour of driving rain and as we reach Carrión de Los Condes it stops.
We had decided which albergue we would stay in and after asking a local person for direction we found it and were pleased to see it was already open. It is run by some very friendly nuns and very comfortable. No bunks but everyone a regular bed. 12 beds in the room so a good chance of at least one snorer. Reminds me very much of boarding school. As we checked in they told us that Mass tonight is at 8:00 in the Santa Maria Church nearby.
We registered, showered in excellent showers with lots of hot water and changed into dry clothes. It is time to do some washing so down to the washing area, wash and hang out the clothes and hope they will dry under a covered roof. If not I have a plastic bag to put them in for my backpack and try and finish them drying tomorrow.
The rain seems to have stopped and I went to look for a sandwich. Everything very conveniently close in the small town.. I got my boccadillo and a coke and then looked for toothpaste since my original supply is almost gone. All I can find is a tube with a free toothbrush, so now I have 4 toothbrushes! I will have to start losing them again.
I looked into the church which is 12th century but it is so cold in there I am not sure I could survive a service unless some of my outer clothes which got wet in the rain dry before tonight.
Well believe it or not it cleared up and the sun came out this afternoon. I went for a walk around the town and here are some views.
Storks nesting on this old church tower
The inside yard of the albergue. Our room is upstairs on the right with the shutters half down

Inside the church
 
Sat on a bench in the sun and chatted with other peregrinos. Then we went to supper at about 6:30 and had quite a good meal. Three courses as usual. At 8:00 we were sitting outside the church so I went in for the Mass. All in Spanish except a few word summary of the Gospel and the sermon in English. Then all the pilgrims invited up for a blessing and the priest even blessed each one of us individually and said a special prayer in Spanish and English. Very nicely done. I was impressed and pleased.
It was still cold in the church so that I could even see my breath but my clothes had dried and I had dressed warmly.
At 10:00 pm the Nuns came round to make sure everyone was in. Then lights out. It IS like boarding school.
No chance of getting any more pictures transferred today so I will try and upload as is.
Today we covered 21 km or 13 miles only making a total of 386 km, 240 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment