Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Camino Via de la Plata - Seville

Woke after a very interrupted night, had breakfast at the hostel (included) and at about 9:30 set out for the cathedral. I arrived about 9:50 and asked when there was a mass. They said 10:00 - perfect. There was a choir chanting psalms but soon the priest(s) came in, I counted 7 of them with not more than 100 people in the congregation. I could be wrong since this the 3rd largest cathedral in Europe so even a lot of people don't look like much. The mass was very nice with all the prayers and chanting (Gloria, Creed etc.) in Latin and the readings and prayers in Spanish. I was better with the Latin since I studied it for several years at school and we were given books with the music for the chants.

 

Here are some pictures from in the cathedral it is huge but the middle has a closed area with the choir and organ so it is very difficult to get a good picture. The layout is similar to Léon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is the high altar but I don't think it ever used these days. Our service used an altar at the front the choir stalls.

After the mass I looked for somewhere to get a sello (stamp) in my pilgrim credential (passport) which allows me to stay in pilgrim Albergues (hostels). It took a while but eventually I found the right place and now I am ready to go!

 

 

 

 

 

No way to get far enough away for a good picture
 
I left the cathedral area I next went to visit the Hospital de la Caridad, a place, founded in the 16th century for the poor and sick. It was founded by Miguel Mañura who has since been nominated as a saint for his good charitable work. It was interesting and the buildings were nice. I think it is still used for the same purpose since I saw some people in wheelchairs and with missing limbs through a gate which was closed to visitors. Basically we were allowed to visit the church and two of the courtyards. Here are some pictures. One of the arches is remains of a structure built in 1252.

 

 

 


 

By now it was getting hot and I had forgotten my hat so I stayed in the shade as I headed back to the hostel.

 
 

On the way I took some pictures of the bull ring with crowds arriving for the afternoon bullfight (been ther done that years ago in Valencia) and of the river. I did some washing and hung it out to dry in the sun and sorted out my belongings. Since I arrived late yesterday everything was very disorganized. I also finished my blog and thought I had posted it but later realized I had not, but it should be there now.

 

 

Here is the entrance to the hostel

 

With my hat, I then went out to look for a pocket knife and a scallop shell. I was successful wither first at a Chinese shop (there are lots of them even if their Spanish is worse than mine). They also speak no English. What is the Chinese for scallop shell? I believe in Spanish it is concha but even the Spanish people here are unfamiliar with the Camino (so far). Later I will try around the cathedral.

It was now time to look for somewhere to eat. It was nearly 3:00 pm. I found a small place near the hostel and had an excellent lunch of braised beef and very greasy fries. Now I won't need dinner. I saw that the restaurants open mostly at 9:00 pm. With the current temperatures, today the thermometers were saying (37F or 99C). I need to start early and get to me destination early since the afternoons are too hot to walk. I have packed most of my backpack and included a lot of water. I don't want to run out even though I expect to find some villages on tomorrow's route where I could by some if necessary but I won't risk it.

We were down to 3 people in the room this morning but this afternoon replacements arrived so we are full again with 6 people. Today is the last day of the Seville festival and there are people in costumes all over town. I will head down there later today. I think it is about a 20 minute walk from here. It will be more comfortable this evening. With very low humidity it cools off nicely in the evening.

 

This is the street the hostel is in. Not much room but motor bikes love to drive fast through here at night right outside the open window

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lots of these all over the city. It is the Seville spring festival, ends. Today

I thought I had better find out what the festival is.

Basically it seems to be literally hundreds of these booths each serving drinks and tapas. There are streets and streets of them set up in an open area. I was there at about 7:00 pm and it was just starting to get underway. Most of the booths were still empty. The sun does not set until about 10:00 pm and it is very hot during the day so only tourists are out in the afternoon. Everything else shuts down. I think it is a kind of Spanish Octoberfest.

There were also dozens of these carriages taking people for rides.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I stopped on the way back to the hostel for a beer but was glad to be back. Sightseeing on your own is not much fun, especially not in the heat. I got lost after walking through the Jewish quarter and my map was no help because they don't seem to like putting up the street name signs and my map only had a few street labels on it none of which were the same as the occasional street sign. I am surprised at how well I am doing with making myself understood, especially since very few people speak any English. Seville has been interesting but it is not what I came for and I am looking forward to getting away from the noise and the traffic and spending time in the country and the small towns and pueblos (villages).

Now to bed for an early night. I want to leave early tomorrow before it gets too hot. Sunrise is at about 7:00 so a 6:30 start would work. I don't want to miss Camino signs in the dark.

 

3 comments:

  1. The cathedral is incredible - especially the high altar. Like you, though, I can't wait to see the uncrowded, rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, your blog is great. It tempts me to google for even more info (I know you can't do that with limited WiFi)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seville_Cathedral
    http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tomb-of-christopher-columbus
    I didn't know Christopher Columbus had his tomb there.
    Ah, feel like traveling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that the locals don't know of the Camino.

    Your pics are fantastic and make me want to come there to sightsee for a week. Alas, my restaurant-only Spanish would probably get me into more trouble than I could maneuver away from. :-)

    Best of luck on the first leg of the journey. I look forward to reading your tale of the road.

    - Mike S

    ReplyDelete