Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Camino 2016: Via de La Plata Day 34 - O Coto to......Santiago de Compostela

Sunday May 1, 2016
Today's blog is not quite what I had hoped it would be. Yesterday I wrote that my legs were getting tired with almost 800km behind me in 30 days. In fact they were more than just tired. My right knee was hurting and my left thigh was very painful with each step. Ibuprofen helped for a couple of hours but was not going to get me the remaining 60km to Santiago. I had hoped that a night in the hotel in O Coto would let them rest but they were no better this morning. As I considered all the alternatives I concluded that waiting another day was not going to solve the problem, but only tempt me to do something foolish resulting in possible more permanent damage.
Options were to take a bus or a taxi for a few km or all the way to Santiago. In the end I chose the latter. The nearest major hospital would be in Santiago anyway if it came to that which of course I hope it won't. In the morning I sat in the garden of the hotel and watched the pilgrims walk past as I had hoped to do and wished them well. The people in the hotel were very helpful and gave me the bus times and even helped me to the bus stop which was very close. They also recommended a hotel and made a reservation for me.The bus to Santiago took a little over an hour with stops along the way. From the bus station I took a short taxi ride to the hotel which is very close to the cathedral and has a very nice garden at the back which is also a café. One side of the hotel and the wall at the back of the garden are part of the old city walls.
The people here are also wonderful and helpful. After I settled in I admit that I got rather emotional about having to stop short but so close to Santiago, but already I have looked back at what I have achieved, the wonderful experiences and people I have met and am full of thanks rather than sadness. The sun is shining and life is good. The Angels were always there to help me when I needed them - so many lessons and opportunities to strengthen my faith.
I sat in the garden at the hotel with a beer for a while and then at about 4:30 I went to a garden restaurant a few houses down the block for a meal since I had not had anything to eat since breakfast. I felt stronger and hobbled down to the cathedral which would normally take only 5 minutes but took me much longer of course using my hiking poles as crutches.
As soon as I entered the cathedral I ran into the family from New Zealand with the 6 month old baby who had just arrived. That again made me emotional but they understood fully. I felt a need to say a prayer of thanks for arriving safely even if not as planned and to kneel in front of the tomb of St James. As it has on previous visits that made me emotional once again but helped me realize the blessings we have received through the sacrifices of the saints.
Probably no pictures today but if I get out in the next couple of days I will post some later.
My plan now is to stay here until Friday when I will take the train to Madrid to catch my flight back to the USA on Saturday May 7.
God bless and thanks to all for your support and prayers. Life is good even when things don't always go as we would have wished!

6 comments:

  1. No comment since we talked several times via Viber. As always I admire your attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh James, you are to be admired for your strength and wisdom. We are happy that you are safe. Please email us if there is any possibility of connecting in Santiago later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,
    Your adventure continues! This walk as you have shared with me and so many others is about faith as much or more than distance. So you have found a measure of humility. Faith with out humility can be a dangerous thing. You are an inspiration to me and a great example of setting your mind to something and reaching your goal. I have always struggled with completing things I start(you may have noticed).
    I have observed that quite contemplation may not be your strong suit and now you have some time to be still and know God. So, your adventure continues and your ability to inspire others on the way.
    We look forward to seeing you in Nashville. -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, This cannot be without emotion, yet you have the most desirable, honorable attitude. You've been an inspiration and example all along. When very important things don't go the way they've been planned and envisioned for so long you still come through with class! Thank you for sharing it all with us in such honesty. Still looking forward to reading about your adventures all the way to home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, James. Your body is a temple of God. Taking care of that temple is a personal responsibility. Congratulations on the common sense it took to stop when your body said you must. I know I have a tendency to bull my way through things and ignore the indications that I should not proceed. If you had taken that approach, you could easily have torn something.

    You are having a great Camino. It isn't over. The physical demands may be largely completed, but the spiritual aspects of the Camino are still in your midst. Treasure them.

    I cannot wait to see you in a few weeks to have you fill in the gaps of this tremendous undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, everyone has said everything so much better than I could have. Every experience is a lesson - for you and for all who are following you on this journey. Thank you for sharing it all with us and Godspeed to you on your journey back to us!

    ReplyDelete