Translate

Travels - Links to each trip

Friday, March 15, 2013

Camino Training 2 - part 2

Hollywood Cemetery was opened in 1849 and named to reflect the holly trees on the property. It sits on hills overlooking the rapids of the James River which stretch along most of the river as it passes through the city. It has an interesting history including being the resting place of 2 United States Presidents - James Monroe and John Tyler along with Jefferson Davis, the only Confederate President.

Having walked up from the river I found that the only entrance is at the very top of the hill. But my goal is to get fit, so no problem. I stopped at the office by the entrance and bought a map ($1.00). I followed one of the paths and soon came across an interesting memorial at the grave of a young girl

I remembered we had seen this a couple of years ago when we went for a walk here with Sarah and her (white) dog. There is a photo somewhere of Schatzi standing next to this dog.

I continued on enjoying a beautiful day and the peace. I came across a burial in progress (there is still room available!). Some of the graves are old and some are more recent.

Even some signs of spring as the trees are ready to burst

Next I came to the "Presidents' Circle" the black tomb is James Monroe and the tall column is John Tyler.

The view from here is nice but of course it is too late for the inhabitants to enjoy it!

The memorials are very interesting and often show the themes of those being memorialized. Here is one in memory of Confederate Officers from the Cicil War with the barrel of a cannon sticking out of the ground

 

I then left the cemetery and walked though one of the older neighborhoods in Richmond back towards the river trail. The architecture here is interesting and today many of these older houses are occupied by students from the nearby universities. Many of the porches had bikes tied to the railings - a give away to student occupation.

Then back to the river, acoss the hanging bridge and on to Belle Isle

This shows the river rapids with the cemetery on the hill behind.

As I walked along the bank of the island I saw people out enjoying the beautiful weather. I am not sure why the children were not in school since today is Friday, but perhaps they are home schooled.

Then on the south bank of the river, past the islands, across the railway tracks and up the hill to the Nickel Bridge and then to the parking area. A total of 10 miles today according to the GPS app on my iPhone and an interesting hike. There is so much history here. Perhaps I can explore more of it on another hike.

I have arranged for another hike tomorrow with the people doing Camino training who I met this morning. Meeting at the Irish Pub at 8:15. After the hike we will have lunch and a pint for St Patrick's Day at the pub. It should be a good day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment